Having an accident can be scary. Often times, drivers are overwhelmed with so many thoughts that they don’t know what needs to be done. Do you know what to do after a car accident? Here is a helpful list to assist you immediately... and even days after the accident.
1. Take a deep breath and make sure everyone is safe at the scene of the accident. Get appropriate medical care as needed. Nothing is more important than the well-being of the people involved.
2. If possible, move the cars off the road to a safe area and turn on your hazard lights.
3. Notify the authorities (call 911), especially if there is damage to another persons property.
4. Identify any witnesses that may provide a helpful account of the accident for the police.
5. Be polite with the other party, but don't tell anyone the accident was your fault, even if you think it was. Collect the following information:
• Other driver's name & license number
• Registered owner's name from the registration
• Other vehicle information - Color, Make, Model, License plate #, and the damage sustained.
• If Driver and Owner are different, ask how they are related
6. Discuss the details of the accident with the police. You don't have to discuss all the details with the other party.
7. If your car is not safe to be driven then have your car towed. Make sure the lights are working, nothing is rubbing on the tires, and no fluids have leaked from the vehicle. Only drive your vehicle if you know it is safe.
8. If you have a good full-service insurance agency like FBInsure, contact them promptly. Let them know the details of the accident and they will help you to file the claim properly with your insurance company. A good insurance agent will aid in determining if you should avoid filing a claim.
9. Collect some important information from your insurance company including:
• What is the claim number?
• Do I have rental coverage?
• Will my deductible apply and if so, how much is it?
• What does the insurer require prior to getting my car repaired? Will they send one of their appraiser out to see mey car, or do I have to bring it to their Drive In Claim Center, or can I bring it directly to Total Care Accident Repair?
10. Select your Auto Body Repair Shop...Total Care Accident Repair is a great choice! A great repair shop will...
• Coordinate the towing of your car to the shop
• Assist you to get into a car rental right from their shop
• Listen to you and address your specific questions and concerns
• Keep you informed during the repair process
• Provide you with a Projected Completion Date on Day-1
• Provide you with a Lifetime Written Warranty
• Measure their Customer Satisfaction Index and share the results
• Turn a bad situation into a surprisingly pleasant customer experience